Originally from CookingClassy.com
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots (from about 4 medium carrots)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg for 30 seconds, set aside. Shred carrots as directed in notes below, set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and brown sugar, then add eggs and using an electric hand mixer, blend mixture on low speed 30 seconds, until slightly pale. Mix in applesauce and vanilla extract. With mixer running on low speed, slowly pour in vegetable oil and mix until combined, then mix 20 seconds longer. Mix in half of the dry ingredients, then pour the shredded carrots into the bowl with the remaining flour mixture and toss in flour mixture to coat carrots (they’ll clump together a bit but that’s fine). Pour carrot mixture into the batter and blend until evenly combined.
- Pour batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean, about 19 – 21 minutes. Cool in muffin tin several minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
For the frosting
- Using an electric mixer whip together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy. Mix in vanilla extract. With mixer running on low speed, slowly add powdered sugar and beat until well blended and smooth. If frosting is slightly runny freeze several minutes then mix again and repeat if needed.
- Frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting then immediately roll edges of frosting in chopped pecans.
Please follow and like us: