Become an SDFM Intern!
Love working with people and want to become part of the local food movement?
The South Durham Farmers’ Market is seeking a part-time intern to help the new Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and healthy eating children’s programming. SDFM is a year round farmers’ market located at Greenwood Commons Shopping Center at the corner of Highway 55 and Sedwick Road. SDFM’s diverse group of farmers and artisan food producers offer some of the best healthy and fresh foods in the Triangle.
Internships at SDFM are fun, fast-paced, and give folks the opportunity to do creative and important work – qualified candidates will be extroverted, highly organized, possess excellent written and oral communication skills, and capable of handling a wide variety tasks that help make SDFM successful. Applicants should be interested in learning more about local food systems, promoting sustainable agriculture and increasing community access to healthy foods.
Internship duties can include
- Coordinating the implementation of SDFM children’s programming, which can include:
- Creating activities or crafts to teach kids about the importance of healthy eating and farms.
- Securing educational market guests.
- Developing marketing and outreach initiatives in the local community.
- Assisting the Market Manager on Saturday mornings.
- Researching grant opportunities for the Double Bucks program.
- Providing market tours to familiarize SNAP recipients with market offerings.
- Maintaining critical SNAP data and record keeping.
- Providing content for the website, newsletter and Facebook
We ask that interns commit to 10 hours of work per week. Weekday office hours are flexible, but candidates must be available on Saturday mornings (8am to 12pm) to attend market. Applicants that can commit to one or more semesters would be preferred. We are willing to work with students to help qualify this internship for an independent study.
The South Durham Farmers’ Market is a young, developing market, so interns can expect to learn a lot and get involved with all aspects of a growing non-profit organization. Currently this position is unfunded but if funds become available then a small monthly stipend will be provided.