Originally from America’s Test Kitchen
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 onions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 slices of bread, torn into quarters
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bratwurst
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Line slow cooker with aluminum foil collar and coat with coconut oil. Microwave cabbage with 1 tablespoon oil and ½ teaspoon salt in bowl, stirring occasionally, until softened, 15-20 minutes. Drain cabbage and discard liquid.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer half of onion mixture to large bowl; set aside. Stir flour into skillet with remaining onion mixture and cook over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, sugar and vinegar, scraping up any browned bits, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add bread and milk to bowl with onion mixture and mash to paste with fork. Mix in ground beef, bratwurst, rice, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper using hands.
- Spread ½ cup sauce over bottom of prepared slow cooker. Pinch off one-third of meat mixture into tablespoon-sized pieces and drop over sauce. Spread one-third of cabbage over meat. Spoon one-third of remaining sauce mixture over cabbage. Repeat layering two more times. Cover and cook until beef is tender, about 4 hours on low. Remove foil collar and let casserole cool for 20 minute before serving.
Please follow and like us: