- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup diced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup mashed fresh strawberries
- 4 slices of bread – Ninth Street Bakery recommends their Country Loaf
- 4 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- Vache cheese (if you’re unfamiliar with vache: Kat from Prodigal describes it as “cow milk chevre”, a very mild soft cheese perfect for spreading).
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Mix together the honey and vinegar in a small bowl and stir in the diced strawberries; set aside for the berries to macerate while you make the sandwiches.
- Combine the sugar and mashed strawberries
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Place 1 slice of bread (butter side down) on a cutting board; top each with 1½ tablespoons mashed strawberry mixture (or substitute strawberry jam) and cheese. Place the remaining slice of bread on top (butter side up).
- Grill the sandwiches in a large skillet (or on a griddle) over low heat until golden on both sides.
- To serve, transfer each sandwich to a plate and sprinkle on a dusting of powdered sugar if desired. Serve the sandwiches hot along with the macerated strawberries to spoon on top.
Please follow and like us: